Login/Register

Trump doubles down on North Korea after 'fire and fury' threats

International

Trump doubles down on North Korea after 'fire and fury' threats

Fri, 11 August 2017
Article viewed 10 times
http://stmedia.digitallook.com/web/img/dl/cbtrump292.jpg
bool(true)
Trump doubles down on North Korea after 'fire and fury' threats

(ShareCast News) - US President Donald Trump has refused to back down on threats of 'fire and fury' made to North Korea earlier this week, doubling down on his stance against King Jong-un's regime.
Pyongyang responded to Trump's speech earlier this week by announcing plans to strike the country's Pacific territory of Guam later this month, with the escalation in tensions quickly impacting global financial markets.

Secretary of state Rex Tillerson moved this week to reassure US citizens that there was no imminent threat of conflict with North Korea, but Trump told reporters on Thursday that the 'fire and fury' comment was perhaps 'not tough enough'.

"Maybe it wasn't tough enough," Trump said. "They've been doing this to our country for a long time, for many years, and it's about time that somebody stuck up for the people of this country and for the people of other countries."



He went on to add that Pyongyang "better get their act together or they're going to be in trouble like few nations ever have been in trouble in this world".

North Korea announced a detailed plan to strike waters near the US territory of Guam, accusing Trump as being 'bereft of reason'.

Markets were seen affected once again on Friday as the nerves surrounding the conflict go on, with global indices down across the board and money flowing into safe havens such as gold.